COVID19 : We are open with health & safety in mind. Call us now!
Select Page

If you happen to live in an older property you’ll already be aware of the extra attention that it needs. This is especially true when it comes to your electrics. The trouble is that many properties still contain old wiring which can become faulty at any time. When wiring becomes faulty it can cause all sorts of problems and if left undetected the results can be devastating. You’d think then that bad wiring would be easy to spot, but unfortunately, it isn’t.

That said, there are some clues if you know what to look for. Here are 4 signs that you may have bad or faulty wiring in your home.

Circuit breakers or fuses tripping out

Circuit breakers are installed as a safety measure and will cut the power as soon as there’s a surge or dip in electrical power. If you’re constantly having to reset your trip switch then there could be an underlying problem, namely faulty wiring or a bad connection.

Flickering lights

Have you ever noticed that your lights flicker or dim when you switch then on? Although good wiring rarely causes this problem it can happen from time to time. That said, if it happens frequently, then it’s a distinct possibility that you have a faulty wiring issue.

Are your electrical sockets fighting back?

One of the most obvious and painful ways of knowing that you have faulty wiring is when you touch a socket and get a small electric shock. This is definitely a clear indication that all isn’t as it should be and as a result, you should call in a master electrician immediately.

Acrid/charred smell

If you’ve ever experienced a short that’s caused a brief burn then you might not be able to notice it but one thing’s for sure, you’ll definitely be able to smell it. An electrical burn can cause a distinct acrid smell that lingers for hours. If you take a closer look you might see tell-tale signs of charring around the sockets and switches. If you experience any of these things then it’s important to isolate the power immediately and call out the professionals.

It’s worth pointing out that household electrical fires are a big problem and in Queensland alone in 2011, 27 people lost their lives in fires caused by faulty electrical wiring, most of which was old and needed replacing.

Need An Electrician?

Get upfront pricing and guaranteed workmanship when you book one of our expert electricians today!

If you do reside in an older property and have never had a wiring check then you should contact Static Electrics. Our local electricians carry out in-home safety audits where we examine all electrical appliances and switches and install circuit breakers where necessary.

Don’t leave it until it’s too late contact Static Electrics today and get total peace-of-mind for you and your family. Call us on 07 5445 8435 to book yours.

" "