COVID19 : We are open with health & safety in mind. Call us now!
Select Page

According to a 2009 study by the National Fire Prevention Association, faulty or old wiring is the number one cause of house fires. With this in mind, here are 5 tell-tale signs that you just might need to replace your wiring.

Regular fusing

If you have a fuse breaker that regularly trips then this is a sure-fire sign that something isn’t right. It could be that too many single appliances are plugged into a circuit causing it to overload. To test this simply unplug all items and then plug them back in individually. If the fuse finally trips, then that’s where your problem lies. Alternatively, it could also mean that there’s a fault in the circuit or a short in the wiring.

Flickering or dimming lights

Even with good wiring, flickering or dimming lights can occur occasionally, but when it happens on a regular basis then it may be a sign that your electrical wiring isn’t all it’s cracked up to be. It could mean that either your circuit or alternatively your whole electrical wiring, needs replacing.

Old switches and sockets

‍If your house or indeed one that you’re thinking of buying has switches and sockets that are old-fashioned there’s a strong chance that you have old wiring too. Another giveaway is the presence of black rubber wiring. This is often the case in housing that’s over 40 years old that hasn’t been modernised. More often than not, rubber compounds become brittle with age and can become a fire hazard. For this reason if it looks old fashioned, then chances are that it’s going to need replacing.

Buzzing, discoloured or charred outlets

Any of these signs could lead to a potentially dangerous situation. If this is the case you’ll need to replace the outlet switch. However, a charred or discoloured outlet switch could also mean that there’s a chance the problem might lie elsewhere. The issue could be down to a faulty circuit or a loose connection so it pays to find the route cause of the problem before you change the outlet switch.

Shocking switches

‍If you feel a slight tingle or shock when you touch a switch it’s a good indicator that there’s a problem. Generally, it means that a wire in the circuit is shorting out to the conduit which is enclosing the existing wiring. It could also be that a wire has lost its insulation. For safety reasons, when confronted with electrical problems of this nature it pays to call in a professional.

If you think you may have old wiring then don’t delay, call in the professionals at Static Electrics. They’ve been in the business for many years and have the skills and the know-how to fix the problem and keep you safe. Why not contact our electricians on 1300 206 004 for a free home evaluation today.